The registration is open now. You can click here to go to the registration page.
- Professional attendee registration fee
- $35.00 before August 30
- $45.00 after August 30 (late registration)
- Graduate student registration fee
- $25.00 before August 30
- $35.00 after August 30 (late registration)
- Undergraduate student registration
You can also register for the banquet through the same link (There is a $30.00 fee).
A designated block has been negotiated for the conference at the Gateway Hotel (2-2.5 miles away) at a discounted rate. You can use this booking link to make a reservation or call 1-800-367-2637 or 515-292-8600 to book your room. Room rate is $134+ 12 % tax per room per night. Please make sure you ask for the TSLL 2019 Block to receive the discounted rate. Any rooms in the block not reserved by Friday, August 16, 2019 will be released and be available only as occupancy allows.
The closest airport to Iowa State University is Des Moines International Airport. There is a shuttle service available between the airport and ISU (see below). Other major airports, including Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport, Kansas City International Airport, and Omaha Airport. are within driving distance, but require renting a car.
Shuttle Service to and from Des Moines International Airport
Executive Express offers shuttles approximately every 90 minutes ($36 one-way; $66 round trip per person – prices are cheaper when booking for more than one person).
Car rental agencies are located in the baggage claim area in Des Moines International Airport.
Ames’ Bus System
Ames CyRide bus system offers safe, reliable, and friendly service for navigating around Ames. Please find a nice CyRide and Ames map here. The Iowa State “MyState” app offers a nice CyRide GPS interface that shows in real time where buses are with respect to your current location.
Lyft & Uber
Both Lyft and Uber operate in Iowa and the Ames area. Note that rides may not be as abundant as they might be in a major city.
Getting to the Conference Venue
Conference sessions will be held on campus in the Memorial Union, 2229 Lincoln Way, Ames Iowa 50014. Pay parking is available in the Memorial Union Parking Ramp, adjacent to the conference venue. For more information, visit http://www.mu.iastate.edu/parking–maps/parking/. More information about parking can be found at http://www.parking.iastate.edu/visitor.
Food and Drinks
For a complete list of on-campus restaurants and cafés: https://www.dining.iastate.edu/hours-menus/
- Memorial Union Food Court ($). 2229 Lincoln Way. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner menus. Halal, vegan, and vegetarian options. Restaurants include: Chester’s Chicken – Cucina Italiana – Cys and Fries – Fresh Burrito Works – Godfather’s Pizza – Panda Express – The Dish – Subway
- Carlos’ Quesadillas ($). Food truck outside Kildee Hall. Mexican food: Quesadillas, fajitas, tacos, burritos.
- MU Market & Café ($). 2229 Lincoln Way. Convenience store, grab-and-go sandwiches, salads, bakery, and coffee. Vegan and vegetarian options.
- Caribou Coffee & Hub Grill & Café ($). Across from Parks Library. Deli and bakery, sandwiches, salads, wraps, and coffee. Vegan and vegetarian options.
- Bookends Café ($). 0184 Parks Library. Grab-and-go sandwiches, salads, bakery, and coffee. Vegan and vegetarian options.
Restaurants and cafés are within walking distance from the Memorial Union.
- Potbelly Sandwich Shop ($). 2310 Lincoln Way. 9am-10pm. Made to order toasted sandwiches, salads, and ice cream shakes. Vegetarian options.
- Blaze Pizza ($). 2320 Lincoln Way. 10:30am-10:30pm. Wood-fired pizza; make your own pizza. Vegetarian options.
- Jeff’s Pizza Shop ($). 2402 Lincoln Way. 10:30am-1am. Pizza, sandwiches, lasagna, salads, chips, and brownies.
- Smokin’ Oak wood-fired pizza ($).: 2420 Lincoln Way. 10:30am-10:30pm.
- Cafe Baudelaire ($$). 2504 Lincoln Way. 10am-1:30am Brazilian fusion cuisine, hamburgers, omelets, salads, desserts, drinks, and cocktails. Live music at night.
- Mr. Burrito ($). 2508 Lincoln Way. 11am-9pm Mexican food: Burritos, tacos, quesadillas, enchiladas, tostadas, Mexican drinks including horchata.
- Taste Place ($). 2512 Lincoln Way. Chinese food
- Arcadia Café ($). 116 Welch Ave. 7am-8pm. Sandwiches, small plates, soup, salad, desserts; vegetarian & gluten-free options; cocktails, wines.
- Indian Delights ($). 120 Welch Ave. Kofta, curry dishes, chicken, lamb, shrimp, salmon; vegetarian options; desserts.
- Jimmy John’s ($). 135 Welch Ave. 10:30am-3am. Plain slims, sub sandwiches, club sandwiches.
- Thai Kitchen ($$). 2410 Chamberlain St. 11am-8pm. Thai food: Yums, soups, noodles, fried rice, pad, and curry dishes.
- Pizza Pit ($). 207 Welch Ave. 11am-12 midnight. Pizza, chicken wings, hot sandwiches.
- Stomping Grounds ($$). 303 Welch Ave.7am-12am. Regular and toasted sandwiches, salads, pasta, soups, crepes, desserts, coffee, and drinks. Outside patio area.
How to get there: Take Cyride #1 Red East or #2 Green East from campus. For a full list of downtown Ames restaurants, bars, cafés, and events, access http://www.amesdowntown.org/
- Wheatsfield Cooperative Grocery & Deli ($).413 Northwestern Ave. 7am-9pm Breakfast burritos, salad bar, hot bar, soups, bakery, desserts; vegetarian options.
- Depot Deli & Cookies ($). 526 Main Street. Sandwiches, soups, salads, desserts; vegetarian options; lunch & dinner combos; beer, wines.
- Aunt Maude’s ($$$). 547 Main St. 11am-2pm, 5pm-10pm. Salads, soups, omelets, sandwiches, bistro, salmon, chicken, beef, wines, microbrews.
- Bar La Tosca ($$). 400 Main St. 11am-2pm, 4pm-10pm. Italian cuisine. Salads, soups, flatbread, pasta, sandwiches, small plates, entrées, cocktails, wines, beer.
- The Spice ($$). 402 Main St. 11am-2:15pm, 5pm-8:45pm. Thai cuisine: Spring rolls, dumplings, soup, curry, noodles, fried rice, chicken, pork, seafood, desserts; vegetarian options; tea, fruit juices, beer, wine.
- Chocolaterie Stam ($). 230 Main Street. 8:30am-8pm. Bonbons, chocolate treats, cookies, wafers, gelato, licorice.
- Café Diem ($). 229 Main Street. 7am-10pm Coffee, pastries, salads; wi-fi.
- Little Woods Herbal tea shop and tea house ($). 136 Main St. Herbs, spices, loose leaf teas, medicinal herbs, artisan wellness blends.
- Whiskey River ($). 132 Main Street. 11am-2am. American food, dine in or order take out: Hamburgers, sandwiches, hot dogs, chicken wings, quesadillas, tacos, nachos, salads; vegetarian options; liquors, wines, beers (bottled and on tap).
- Great Plains Sauce and Dough Company($). 129 Main St. 11am-2pm, 4:30pm-12am Pizza, sandwiches, salads, desserts; beer, wine, coolers.
- The Grove Café ($). 124 Main. 6am-2pm. Breakfast & lunch menu: Omelets, pancakes, French toast, hamburgers, hot sandwiches, desserts.
- The Mandarin ($$). 415 Lincoln Way. 11am-2pm, 5-9pm. Beef, chicken, pork, shrimp, & vegetable lunch entrées; seafood; dinner specials for 2-10 persons; soups
- Cornbred Barbecue ($$). 526 Main St Suite. 11am-.... Beef, pork, turkey, sausage.
How to get there: Take Cyride #1 Red West from campus.
- Pammel Grocery & Deli ($). 113 Colorado Ave. 11am-8pm. Indian, Pakistani, and Middle Eastern food. Halal & vegetarian options: Gyros, kabobs, falafel, samosas, kofta.
- Szechuan House ($). 3605 Lincoln Way. 11am-10pm. Chinese food: Chicken, duck, lamb, pork, seafood; soups, lunch specials; vegetarian options.
- Shogun Japanese Steakhouse ($$). 3704 Lincoln Way. 11am-9:30pm. Soups, salads, teriyaki, yakisoba, tempura, hibachi, sushi, sashimi, udon, shabu shabu, hibachi; wine, sake, beer.
- Indian Delights ($). 127 Dotson Drive. Kofta, curry dishes, chicken, lamb, shrimp, salmon; vegetarian options; desserts.
How to get there: Take Cyride #6 Brown North from campus.
- The Café ($$). 2616 Northridge Pkwy. 7am-9pm. Omelets, pancakes, soups, salads, hamburgers, sandwiches, steak, fish, pizza, pasta; beer, wine, cocktails.
- +39 Italian Restaurant & Cantina ($$). 2640 Stange Rd. 11am-2pm, 5pm-9:30pm. Pasta, pizza, soups, salads, sandwiches; chicken, beef, fish; gluten-free options; beer, wine.
- Brick City Grill ($$). 2704 Stange Rd. 11am-12am. Hamburgers, sandwiches, entrées (chicken, pork, salmon), nachos, salads; gluten-free options; beer.
- El Azteca ($$). 2727 Stange Rd. 11am-9pm. Mexican food: Quesadillas, burritos, enchiladas, special dinners, soups, salads, desserts; beer, cocktails.
- Wallaby’s Bar & Grille ($$). 2733 Stange Rd. 11am-11pm. Salads, soups, hamburgers, sandwiches, wraps, nachos,entrées; beer, wine, cocktails.
- Los Altos Mexican Restaurant ($$): 823 Wheeler St. #5. 11am-9:30pm. Quesadillas, enchiladas, tacos, burritos; vegetarian options; desserts; beer, cocktails.
- Ge Angelo’s Italian Restaurant & Lounge ($$). 4-9pm. 823 Wheeler St. #9. Salads, pizza, calzone, pasta, chicken, cod; vegetarian options; build your own pizza; desserts; beer, wine.
How to get there: Take Cyride #3 Blue South from campus.
- Hickory Park Restaurant Co. ($$). 1404 S. Duff Ave. 10am-9pm. Barbecue, meat dinners, hamburgers, deli and smoked sandwiches, ice cream menu; teas, beer (bottled, on tap).
- Dublin Bay Irish Pub and Grill ($$). 320 S 16th St. 11am-11pm. Irish fayre, entrées, pork, shrimp, salmon, pasta, hamburgers, sandwiches, soups, salads; beer, wine, cocktails.
- The Mucky Duck British Pub ($$). 3100 S Duff Ave. 11am-11pm. Fish ‘n’ chips, hamburgers, chicken curry, haggis, bangers ‘n’ mash; teas, beer, wine, whiskey, cocktails.
- Fuji Japanese Steakhouse ($$$). 1614 S Kellogg Ave. #101. 11am-2pm, 4-9:30pm Hibachi, teriyaki, tempura, udon, soba, rolls, sushi bar entrées, katsu, don buri, desserts.
Coffee/Beverages & Dessert
Cultural Attractions & Entertainment
How do I get there? Everything on campus is within a walking distance.
- ISU’s Museums. Around campus
- The Maintenance Shop. Memorial Union. Live music, stand-up comedy, open mic nights, theater performances.
- Farm House Museum. Near Ross Hall. M-F 12-4pm. Lake Laverne: Just outside the Memorial Union (MU). Created in 1916. Home to the swans Lancelot and Elaine.
- Reiman Gardens: 1407 University Blvd. 9am-4:30pm.
Reiman Gardens (Photo: Phuong Nguyen)
All Ames Parks: http://www.cityofames.org/government/departments-divisions-i-z/parks-recreation/park-system
Music & Drinks