Faculty in applied linguistics are also responsible for the following:
- The Intensive English Orientation Program (IEOP) is for students wishing to improve their English particularly in preparation for university admission.
- The Academic Communication Program is for graduate students who want to learn how to write dissertations and research articles.
- The ESL Courses are for students who have been admitted to Iowa State University and who need to improve their English.
- The English Placement Test (EPT) is offered to incoming Iowa State students whose first language is not English.
- The International Teaching Assistants Program (ITA) provides services for international teaching assistants (ITAs) across the campus.
- The Oral English Certification Test (OECT) is required for all international graduate students who are offered or considered for a teaching assistantship.