For All Students
Faculty in applied linguistics are also responsible for the following:
- The Intensive English Orientation Program (IEOP) is for students wishing to improve their English particularly in preparation for university admission.
- The ESL Courses are for students who have been admitted to Iowa State University and who need to improve their English.
- The English Placement Test (EPT) is offered to incoming Iowa State students whose first language is not English.
- The Center for Communication Excellence provides graduate students with a wide range of opportunities for developing and practicing advanced communication skills:
- individual face-to-face and online consultations on any form of writing (e.g., graduate course papers, research articles, conference abstracts, posters, proceedings papers) (Graduate Peer Mentor Program)
- individual face-to-face and online thesis/dissertation writing and formatting assistance, and writing bootcamps and retreats (Thesis/Dissertation Writing Program)
- writing seminar series and workshops, and credit-bearing academic writing courses (Academic Communication Program)
- expert-facilitated critical review and constructive feedback on writing (Peer Review Groups Program)
- Oral English Certification Test (OECT) and English speaking courses (ENGL 180) for international teaching assistants (International Teaching Assistants Program)
- individual face-to-face and online tutoring in English writing and speaking (English Language Development Program)